Monday, November 21, 2011

Division Complete

The students took the division assessment on Friday of last week, and I was able to grade them this weekend.  Overall...I AM SO IMPRESSED!!!!!

Of the Seven 'I Cans' in this unit (see last blog for seven statements)
13 students mastered all
1 student mastered 6/7
8 students mastered 5/7
4 students mastered 4/7
2 students mastered 3/7

It is hard to say what the true contributing factor is to their great success in the division unit, but here are some observations about the week leading up to the assessment...
-The structure of the stations was all over the place, and that is completely my own doing.  Some days there were three rotations, some days two, it really all depended.  I was taking a deeper look at the students' homework and using that to focus in on who I needed to see that day in a group.  Based on their needs, the group members and their time with me varied.
-All groups got to play the activity once this week.  They loved it and even asked if this could be a recess  option vs. going outside.
-A few times I pulled students one-on-one for 10 minutes of focused practice.  We were able to use counters, and really get in some good practice/review.  It was so neat while working with Student J.  He is typically a low student and was really struggling with division.  One day he would get it, but would come back the next and completely forget.  During a one-on-one time I truly saw the light bulb go off in his head.  He is the student that mastered 6/7 I cans, when typically he fails every math assessment.  Because of the short week this week, we are spending time reviewing in math rather than starting a new unit.  After a weekend of no math...he still could divide today.  I think that is a great sign!!


So what am I finding about math groups...I don't think there is a set routine I need to set my class into.  I think it is dependent on the unit and the kids' needs.  Some days that may be three quick rotations, some days that may be two, and some days it may be no stations, but one-on-one work.
I think warm-up and mini-lesson as a class are a KEEPER.  Having the 40 minutes to group in a variety of ways works for me, and hopefully my students.  The students not with me know that their responsibilities are math journal, leveled work, or activity.  But most importantly we all must keep DESCA as the foundation for all of this, no matter the routine, to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment