Saturday, October 29, 2011

A new goal (in addition to the many others...)

My approach to teaching has changed this school year.  I have been trying many new things, and liking the results I see.  It has been an eye opening experience, watching the changes happen to our environment and ways of learning mature in the students.  The approaches and practices that I was comfortable with before, I now question from time to time.  I am continually reflecting and thinking about how I can make things better.  Although I am excited, it is a bit overwhelming at times.  I feel like I am taking on too many new goals, but it makes it interesting to change things up a bit.

As I read about instructional leadership and goal setting this week, two things really stood out to me.  One being, to do what you say you will do.  And secondly, to frequently evaluate your progress.  This frequent evaluation is going to become a goal of mine.  Both with my own personal goals, and with monitoring my students growth and goals.  

For me, I feel that I am good at setting goals for myself.  Generally I meet them, and then set new goals.  Yet I don't think I check-in on myself as often as I should.  Sometimes this allows me to 'selectively forget' the goal and not follow through on meeting it.  I think more frequent reminders and checking-in will ensure I meet all of my goals.  Perhaps I need to write them down in one place and just glance at it every so often.

As for my students, we just set goals at conferences.  I am going to make it a point to check in on those goals more frequently.  I have been trying some new things with their homework.  It is allowing me to give more immediate feedback, so the students and I can help make the proper steps toward reaching their goals.  Maybe I could start bringing out the goals with the start of each new math unit as a reminder?  
I am also going to attempt to make some smaller goals with the students, that are more short term than the ones we just made.  Those are more or less year end goals.  I think it is important for the students to be able to see results, in order for them to keep up the momentum for reaching the goals.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment