Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A moment to reflect...data coming soon.

With the implementation of guided math groups going on for the last few months, I am finding that life is very hectic....but in a good way (I think!)  I am finding that there is a lot of work that goes into this approach to teaching math.  I knew this going into it, but I wish I REALLY knew at the time.  For you see, I was very comfortable teaching math the way I was before.  I simply followed the curriculum, page by page, and some how, a good majority of my students made adequate progress.  
But now that I see this approach to teaching, and the way it get students thinking and actively engaging in math is really amazing.  I am continually looking at homework and forming new small groups for that day.  I find that is working best in our classroom right now.  After warm-up and mini-lesson, I meet with as many students/groups as possible...some for 10 minutes others for 5.  While groups are with me, other are working on math workshop.  This past week, fraction BINGO and math journals were the options.  A SMART board game through education city was even an option one day for a lower level group.  The stay most aware and engaged when the activities for math workshop are highly interactive.  This flexible, free-style, grouping works well for us right now versus sticking to a timer and everyone accomplishing the same tasks.  I also incorporated a Choice Board this week as part of our warm-up.  Instead of our usual format, the students had to complete five fraction word-problems in a row off of the BINGO type board.  They were really into it, and some even took on the challenge of getting a "coverall bingo"!
It was neat, and rewarding to see the students able to differentiate for themselves when need be.  I think that is a sign of them becoming more aware of their needs and abilities as learners.    

I am in the process of correcting the unit summative assessment on data.  It is a long test, which I think will be modified for next year.  From what I have seen, the studetns are doing well, and showing great mastery of the concepts/I Cans.  I'll have a full break down by the end of the week. 
Also, we took the NWEA MAP test.  All but two kids made gains!  There are even a large number of students that already met their year-end goal.  I look forward to sharing these successes with parents at conferences next week!

Regardless of the schedule, routine, or curriculum I follow, I know that it is safe to say that guided math instruction and active learning will always be foundational approaches to teaching in my classroom.  I

More details to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment