Sunday, January 15, 2012

Another Week

This past week was a great week in math.  Our current unit is on data collection, analysis, and graph making.  We were able to work as a large group community a few days to collect some data and make some graphs.  The students' current seating chart is in small groups, with 4-6 students in each group.  These groups are mixed abilities.  It was great to hear the discussions, the learning and the teaching that was taking place within the small groups of students at their tables.
For example, we did an activity about collecting data and choosing an appropriate sample size. This activity included a large bowl of M&Ms, which immediately elevates the interest level!  Anyway...I would continually ask a question, and then give the students an opportunity to manipulate their M&Ms and "Think, Pair, Share."  It was great to hear the activity, the inquiry, and thoughtful thinking that was taking place.
While working as a large community, the students demonstrated the qualities of DESCA very well.  The short shots of small group work with mixed abilities, was a good way to re-evaluate the way our community should interact and work throughout the day.  I was able to re-model expected behaviors to the whole group, yet still work with small groups of students a few times this week.  I was able to incorporate this while other students played interactive games, either Landmark Shark using playing cards, or with a partner on the iPad.

Although the "math groups" that I would like to see did not happen again this week, I think it was a good week.  We were able to reconnect as a community, and work together to collect data.
We'll be wrapping up the data unit at the beginning of the upcoming week.  Our next unit is another unit on factions, so we'll be able to spend more time in small groups.  Plus, now the students have a stronger base knowledge of fractions, so I feel that independent math workshop time will be more productive.

As I look at closing my research and begin preparation for the conference, I feel that I can close at any time, for the work I am doing will always continue.  I can look at the data, and know that what I have been doing has changed me and my way of teaching math, only for the better.

There is still more data to be collected...I will be having my students take the NWEA math test on Tuesday of the coming week, so I can compare those numbers to the beginning of the year.  I am anxious to see the progress that has been made!

No comments:

Post a Comment